October 27, 2008

YOGA AND TRIATHLON – Serenity in power

“It is the wisdom you bring back from your act of seasoned courage, not the ribbons or skins they hand you.”

Think back to one of your hardest training sessions, your most triumphant race finishes, holding a yoga pose or sequence to the very edge….did anything come up for you? It does for me. These sport/life epiphanies are what gets me out of bed for pre-dawn February swim training, what keeps me returning to an intensive yoga class that leaves me limp for days, and what gives me the tools to calm the butterflies before an anxiety-laden race start.

Throughout my career as a triathlete, the practice of yoga has been an essential component of my training. It has only been through my practice that I have been able to understand the power and grace of the mind/body connection. Learning how to incorporate intention, breath, and strength into movement has enhanced my racing (and my life) in innumerable ways

It is my mission to integrate the practice of yoga with the intense physical and mental preparation for triathlon. The two approaches to fitness are not different, but rather complementary, as the discipline, mental strength and ability to utilize your body to its greatest potential are indispensable parts of each.

This blog will serve as a vessel for me to share, training tips, yoga insights, inspirational stories and personal triumphs and through that, hopefully assist others on their journey toward their personal goals.

Hi-five and Namaste,
Tara

3 comments:

dagwood said...

Yay you and your beautiful new blog! You are always such an inspiration to me anyway; I can't wait to read what else you have to say.

(Although I could do without the swans. Those things freak me out :)

Congrats!

dagwood said...

Also I'm not smart enough to figure out how to get it to say "Nikki" instead of nichole. But it's me.

Joyce Rohl said...

I only know of triathalons vicariously, but regarding yoga, THAT permeates all areas of life. It certainly helps one meet a challenge. You seem light years from my small experiences!! Mrs. Rohl