October 28, 2008

DEMYSTIFYING THE CORE

“In all 3 sports (of triathlon), efficient and graceful form begins with body alignment and position. Functional and articulate core strength is the most essential requisite for this, creating a stable platform from which to move the arms and legs biomechanically through efficient strokes and strides”
--Zendurance by Shane Eversfield

Why is my core such a hard thing to find? I feel like its the wizard behind the curtain, the Holy Grail (or the G-spot !) in that through it, great power will be revealed. In spin class, you are told to engage your core. In yoga, it is activate your core. In triathlon, it’s strengthen your TVA. There are a lot of different ways to encounter your core, and my mission this off-season is to find the damn thing and engage, activate and strengthen it.

As many of you triathletes know, between all the pool time, bike training, long runs, mental preparation, nutrition analysis, (did anyone say recovery time?) who has any time left for core work?

I’m looking for a quick fix and I am not ashamed to admit it. I’ve tried Pilates (too long and a little boring for my taste), I have an 8 minute Ab Blaster DVD (too short and unsatisfying) but I’ve continued searching for the happy medium.

Voila! My method of attack will be the (slightly expensive) Runner- Core System DVD by Coach Al Lyman. According to the promotional materials “Runner Core is a new system of Functional Strength and Core Conditioning workouts for runners and triathletes. You will gain NEW Core Strength, Low Back Power, and Leg Endurance with 3 Progressively Challenging 15 Minute Runner-CORE Functional Strength Workouts.—Sounds delish!

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Ok, it may be 2 years later, but how did the core dvd work for you?